In December 2001, the State General Administration of Quality Supervision, Inspection and Quarantine of the People’s Republic of China (AQSIQ) issued regulations for the new compulsory product certification to replace the original old certification systems (CCIB and CCEE), effective 1 May 2002.
The new certification scheme and mark is called China Compulsory Certification, abbreviated as CCC or 3C. It covers 135 kinds of products (in 20 product categories covering 9 industries) as compared to 138 kinds in the old schemes. Some new products kinds are introduced while some old ones are removed.
It is the statutory compulsory safety certification system to safeguard consumers’ rights and interests and to protect personal and property safety.
Product Category for CCC
The Compulsory Product Certification covers 135 products divided into 20 categories, including household appliances, motor vehicles, motorcycles, safety glasses, medical devices, lighting apparatus, cables and wires, etc. CQC (China Quality Certification Center) is appointed to undertake the work of compulsory product certification for 17 categories within the CCC catalogue.
- Electrical wires and cables (total 5 categories)
- Circuit switches, electric devices for protection or connection (total 6 categories)
- Low-voltage Electrical Apparatus (total 9 categories)
- Low power motors (total 1 category)
- Electric tools (total 16 categories)
- Welding machines (total 15 categories)
- Household and similar electrical appliances (total 18 categories)
- Audio and video apparatus (not including the audio apparatus for broadcasting service and automobiles) (total 16 categories)
- Information technology equipment (total 12 categories)
- Lighting apparatus (not including the lighting apparatus with the voltage lower than 36V) (total 2 categories)
- Telecommunication Terminal equipment (total 9 categories)
- Motor vehicles and Safety Parts (total 4 categories)
- Motor vehicle Tyres (total 3 categories)
- Safety Glasses (total 3 categories)
- Agricultural Machinery (total 1 category)
- Latex Products (total 1 category)
- Medical Devices (total 7 categories)
- Fire Fighting Equipment (total 3 categories)
- Safety Protection Products (total 1 category)
General Application Process for CCC Approval
- Initial Review
- Quotation and Confirmation
- Application and Sample Submission
- Sample Testing (Technical Support and Assistance provided)
- Testing Completed with Test Report issued
- Initial Factory Inspection and arrangement for first-time factory (if applicable)
- Documents Review for Certification Approval
- Issue and Release of CCC Certificate
With a valid CCC certificate, the manufacturer can then proceed to either purchasing CCC labels, or applying for permission to stamp the CCC mark on the approved products. It is a requirement to apply the CCC mark on approved products before selling them in China.
- Latest version of CCIC Product Catalogue with HS Codes (Harmonized System Code), (Version: May 2008)
- Identify if your product is required by CCC Certificate
- Identify the HS Code and import duty of your product for export to China
- Request quote for the CCC Certification of your product
- Apply for CCC Waiver
- Apply for CCC Authorized Investigation Letter